What are Measure 11 Crimes, and What Do I Do If I’m Charged?

Oregon may be known as a progressive state, but since 1994, it has had some tough-on-crime measures that have harsh sentencing for certain felonies. If you or someone you know is charged with a Measure 11 crime, they should seek support from a criminal attorney as soon as possible and before they give a statement to the authorities.

What is Measure 11 in Oregon?

Measure 11 was passed by Ballot Measure 10 in 1994 in the State of Oregon. It was further upheld by voters in 2000. This ballot measure was put forward by a tough-on-crime political groups and instated mandatory minimum sentencing for serious crimes. Individuals who are charged with a Measure 11 crime in the state of Oregon will automatically be charged with no less than five years without the possibility of probation, parole, or early release for certain felonies.

What is Included?

Measure 11 crimes are serious. They include charges for arson, robbery, sexual abuse, kidnapping, and murder. For that reason, it’s crucial that you speak with a legal representative if you’re charged with a crime and/or facing a criminal investigation for a Measure 11 crime.

The Law Applies to Some Minors

In the State of Oregon, minors between the ages of 15-17 can be tried as adults if they are charged with a Measure 11 crime. They can also be detained in an adult jail or correctional facility while awaiting trial and if they are convicted. It is especially crucial that they have access to a legal representative to explain the seriousness of the charges and to assist them in proceedings.

If the client is facing multiple charges, such as aggravated assault and a DUII, it can be helpful to find a legal defense team with expertise in all of the charges. In the example listed above, the client should reach out to a criminal defense and DUI attorney, who will be able to address both of the charges separately and explain how they both affect the client. Measure 11 crimes carry heavy sentences, so it’s important to find the right legal representative for your case.

Leave a Reply